Rex Foundation’s Fire on the Mountain Vertical Challenge at Squaw Valley
The Rex Foundation is thrilled to formally announce The Fire on the Mountain Vertical Challenge ski race. The vertical challenge is not just a race, but a test of your endurance and strategy, where successful teams will ski/ride in excess of 100,000 vertical feet! Once you ski on all compulsory runs, take your pick of lifts and terrain to rack up vertical and enjoy one of the finest mountains in the world. All proceeds will go to The Rex Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization, with 50% of donations being allocated to charities local to the Olympic Valley / Truckee area.
Event Schedule (Subject to Change)
7:30am – 8:25am: Registration (Bar One)
7:30am – 4:00pm: Silent auction (Bar One)
8:25am – 8:35am: Competitor meeting (Bar One)
8:55am – 9:00am: LeMans start (Cushing Lake)
9:00am – 2:30pm: Vertical Challenge (lunch at your leisure)
2:30pm – 3:30pm: Verify competitor statistics (Bar One)
3:30pm – 10:00pm: After party (WingerWonderGrass VIP Tent)
8:00pm: Top 3 competitor teams announced at WinterWonderGrass main stage
- All racers must download the “Squaw Valley” or “Ski Tracks” app (ios, android) to track your vertical accomplishments for the day; the duration of your session cannot be longer than 5 hours and 35 minutes.
- Helmets are required for each competitor.
- Pre-event meeting is mandatory for all team captains and all competitors are encouraged to attend.
- Each team will appoint a captain who will be responsible for tracking vertical, taking pictures as required and escalating issues to the organizers, as needed.
- You must take a picture of 3 of your 4 team members at the top of each lift for each run, with the exception of Tucker Carpet, where you will take a picture at the bottom of the lift.
- All teams must ride the lifts TOGETHER, so you are only as fast as your slowest skier/rider.
- Abide by all safety warning, as slow skiing rules will be enforced; reckless skiers risk loss of their pass and disqualification from the event.
- All racers must sign and return waiver (you will receive a pdf in advance) at registration in order to participate.
All team members must ski on all compulsory runs; if you finish early, take your pick of lifts and terrain to rack up additional vertical and enjoy one of the finest mountains in the world! The top 3 teams will receive prizes and will be announced from the main stage Friday night at the WinterWonderGrass Festival.
- 2 runs off Headwall lift (1750 (x2) vertical feet)
- 2 runs off KT22 (1767 (x2) vertical feet)
- 2 runs off Granite Chief lift (1000 (x2) vertical feet)
- 1 run off Solitude lift (660 vertical feet)
- 1 run off Squaw Creek lift (1309 vertical feet)
- 1 run off Siberia lift (916 vertical feet)
- 1 run off Tucker Carpet at Snow Ventures (15 vertical feet; picture at bottom)
The Business End
- Cost: $1260 for a team of 4 or $315 for individual competitors willing to be randomly paired up with a team.
- Every competitor will receive a “schwag bag”, compliments of our sponsors.
- Included in your fee: Race registration, Friday Squaw Valley lift ticket, VIP pass to the Friday WinterWonderGrass Festival on-site at Squaw Valley (see below for what’s included in VIP pass).
- Discounted single-day Squaw Valley lift tickets for the race weekend will be available for purchase for racers and friends and family (information will be emailed with your registration confirmation).
- Discounted single-day and weekend VIP pass upgrades for WinterWondergrass Festival are available for separate purchase (at the end of registration form on next page).
- All proceeds will go to The Rex Foundation, a 501(c)3, with 50% being allocated to charities in the Olympic Valley / Truckee area.
VIP WinterWonderGrass After Party
The Fire on the Mountain After Party will take place Friday evening at the WinterWonderGrass Festival in the VIP tent. All registered racers will have access and limited number of additional passes for friends and family (as well as weekend VIP pass upgrades for all) may be purchased at a discount. Options for additional VIP passes for WinterWonderGrass are available on the bottom of the next page. VIP festival access includes:
- Free craft beer from Sierra Nevada and Golden Road from 2:30 – 5:30pm
- Access to side stage heated viewing area with private bar
- Happy hour bar pricing all night
- Custom VIP / WWG laminate
- (1) meal ticket for Moes BBQ
- All Squaw Valley ticketing fees
- Specialty keg tapped at VIP just prior to headliner performance