Rex Foundation 2012 Annual Report
Rex Executive Director Sandy Sohcot says:
This is the 12th Annual Report I’ve had the privilege of preparing, and my last as Rex Executive Director. Reflecting on the following robust activities and grant making that took place during 2012, I am hopeful that the momentum underway is paving the way for Rex to advance to a whole new level of positive impact.
– We began the year with an outstanding benefit at The Hamilton in Washington, to once again celebrate the music of Jerry Garcia, bringing on the road our successful December 2011 concert from The Fillmore, San Francisco.
– Numerous bands came forward enthusiastically wanting to perform Rex Musical Caravan events in their communities.
– The San Francisco Giants held their second Jerry Garcia Tribute night with Rex as the primary beneficiary, generating not only resounding good will, but also a major boost to our grant making capacity.
– Rex helped Phish’s WaterWheel Foundation celebrate its 15th anniversary by recommending grants to four Bay Area programs.
– Our December 1st benefit concert at The Fillmore in San Francisco, “A Buck Dancer’s Choice,” paid tribute to Jon McIntire, long standing Rex Board member and past manager of the Grateful Dead, not only with the music, but also with $45,000 in grants in his honor.
– Thanks to the increasingly generous support of individual contributors, along with the proceeds generated from benefits and Rex Musical Caravan events, Rex distributed $156,100 in grants.
When I began as Executive Director in 2001, I was proud to note that Rex had distributed $7.2 million in grants since its inception in 1984. I am very pleased to report that by the end of 2012, Rex had increased that total to $8.8 million given to over 1,000 grassroots programs doing outstanding work.
Everything in this Report is a reflection of the spirit and generosity of the Rex Foundation community. I feel deeply honored to have had the opportunity to connect with so many of you; together we launched the renewal of Rex in 2001 so that its grant making and community benefit work could continue in the absence of direct Grateful Dead funding. I am excited about all that is possible moving forward. Thank you!